04 July 2011

25 years old...

Hey, let's do it in English for once!

I had my 25th birthday this week end, had a nice time with my close family, eating sushi at Hai (best place in Malmö!) and some strawberry cake at home in the evening, while playing board games (Ricochet Robots and Shadows over Camelot). Playing board games is one of my favorite hobbies, so this was a perfect birthday.

Wow, 25.
It's not much, if you ask me (but I guess I'm biased). And I must be able to boast a little for what I have accomplished so far!
When I first had a cellphone with a calendar, I started making small notes to future Natalia about her career, like "This year, you have had a book published" and so on. (Yes, I love to day dream, hahaha.) Later I changed my cellphone and lost the notes, but even though I was shooting pretty high, I still have somewhat overachieved what I hoped for; Mjau!, A Song For Elise, Ein Lied für Elise and now working on illustrations for Häxfolket.

My dream was to one day be able to survive on making comics and drawing, and now I am. Well, I can't feed a family, or buy a car, or go to Japan every year, but with my workaholic lifestyle, I will be happy as long as I can afford ink and some food.
So... I guess I have to make up a new dream now... I'll have to come back to you all about that.

What I would like to have said with this, is that it is possible to get there. To all of you out there whom - just like young Natalia - is wondering if it's worth it to dream, I say yes. But only dreaming gets you nowhere. Hard work makes you get there. But without dreams the hard work might be shattered. My tip is: Make goals for yourself, just like I did. The feeling of accomplishment that you get when reaching that goal, is what motivates you to keep working hard.

Now, let's finish with some sketches I found the other day, of the characters from Mjau!
It's some of the very first sketches of the characters, and I accually like that style more than the one I used in the manga... When did I lose it??



~Click to see it in detail~

No comments:

Post a Comment